Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD BRONCO | BRONCO II > 1980-1986 Ford Bronco

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 7th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default carburetor installiation, and issues

Hi i recently purchased an 85 bronco 4x4 with the 4.9, for about the same price as it would go in junk metal. It had no carburetor, which i procured from a buddy that just happend to have one laying around. Now i am not very profficient with carburetors, since they went out about the same time i came in, but i know just enough to be dangerous, and did get the truck running. It is a carter 1 bbl carb. If i leave the vacuum line that faces the front of the vehicle ( which i am ashamed to admit i dont know what it does) unhooked, the truck runs ok, idles rough, i mean very rough but you can rev it up and it smoothes out. With the vaccum ilne hooked up the truck idle at around 2k, but does so very smoothly. but as soon as you touch the throttle it cuts out. if any one could please give me some advice ( and perhaps a diagram of the carb?) it would be GREATLY appreciated
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

also there appears to be some kind on line that attaches near the choke...brass fittings unsure what this is and what i need to attach it to..looks like something you would hook a brake line to, is this a fuel return line? I am carb illiterate .
Old July 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM

Liked 122 Times in 103 Posts

if your talking about the vacuum port on the bottom front about 3/16", just to the left of the bolt hole, near the needle jet, it goes to the distriubator, look for a port there;
the vacuum port in the back goes to the vacuum diaphram thats attatched to the choke; that diaphram has one fitting & is about the size of a silver dollor; you also should have a port about 5/16" / 3/8" on the top

see if you can find a tag attached to one of the screws or look for info on the sides of the carb; what do they say???
I'm looking for [ YFA ]

look under and around the underside of the hood and around the radiator for a Vacuum Diagram

I cant be 100% unless you up-load some pics to the site
if I could see I could tell

dont give up we'll set you straight

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; July 7th, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:42 PM

Stay thirsty my friends... stay thirsty.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

1 BBL??? Wow, I remember those on Ford Granadas. First thing I would do is look for at least a 2BBl, but lets go with what you got first...Mr. J is correct, look for a diagram for the vac. And if you look, there should be 2 screws as you stand in front of the Bronco looking at the carb. One is for air, the other is for gas. Those I'm sure will have to be played with....carbs!!! Haa Haaa, I miss those!!

Old July 8th, 2011, 11:29 PM

Pete, I belive that Carter has only one adjustable needle jet

I'll know more if I could see some pics

Last edited by JSoko; July 9th, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:13 AM

Stay thirsty my friends... stay thirsty.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I bet 10 to 1 you are correct.

Old July 10th, 2011, 09:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yep only one, on the ditch side of the truck. as to the tag, it didnt have yfa on it just motorcraft and somthing to the effect of 5be9 or some 5 character code... it is a feedback carburetor. i have since unhooked, and plugged off all of the vacuum ports to the carb, and it seems to run reasonably well on its own accord. the truck doesnt have the majority of the factory smog crap, because we do not have emissions testing in my part of maine. so it looks like im going to have to eliminate a mess of the vacuum lines that are unnessacary. there is no vacuum advance, it appears to be all electric, and the transmission vacuum line is running of the same line as the pcv. when i hook up the vacuum to the choke actuator the truck dies out like it did before, but the single wire that runs to the choke assembly isnt attached to anything either, cant find any mate for it under the hood, and dont know if it is supposed to be coming from some kind of sending unit or what. The truck is definately running noticably rich. i am going to replace plugs wires rotor and dist. cap and the donut gasket ( which was entirely gone) and see if that helps any. ( the o2 senson is right next to the gapinghole left from the missing gasket) Thinking this might make it read leaner then it is and pump too much fuel? Now i need to address what looks like a rather large rear main seal leak. Ahhh the joys of restoring a junker!
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:32 AM

that wire is the 12 volt supply for the choke
you can eliminate it and get a cheap manual choke kit from the auto store [under $10]
it works like the throttle control on a lawn mower
and will make life easier on you

Old July 11th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well i have an old choke cable that works, ive just been staring at the damn carb trying to figure out what needs to come off and how; and where exactlly to attach the cable. if anyone has one of these damn halfbreed carbs that has switched to a manual choke, could you put up a picture?.
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM

this may help you out when you look at the PIC below

heres a list of
Abbreviations & Color Codes ,, various

A/CL DV - Air Cleaner Diverter Valve
A/CL BI MET - Air Cleaner BiMetallic valve
ACV - Air Control Valve
MAN VAC - Manifold Vacuum
EXH HCV - Exhaust Heat Control Valve
PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation
SV CBV - Solenoid Valve Carborator Bowl Vent
TVV - Thermal Vacuum Valve
LCV - EGR Load Control Valve
VDV - Vacuum Diverter Valve
HICV - Hot Idle Control Valve
IVV - Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve
TVS - Throttle Valve Solenoid (aka SolePot, Dashpot)
VCV - Vacuum Control Valve
HEAT VLV INT - Heat Valve Intake
TK - Throttle Kicker
FLTR - uuuuuuhhh... "Filter"
VRDV - Distributor Vacuum Retard Delay Valve
AIR BPV - Air ByPass Valve (aka Thermactor Air Bypass = TAB)

---

BV - Bowl Vent
S - Spark port
ACT - not sure, but on EFIs it means Air Charge Temperature sensor
SV CBV = Carborator Fuel Bowl Solenoid Vent Valve
LCV = EGR Load Control (WOT =Wide Open Throttle) Valve
HICV = Hot Idle Control Valve
IVV = Thermactor Idle Vacuum Valve
VRDV = Vacuum Delay Valve (VDV, VRDV, DV-TW)
(VDV = Vacuum Delay Valve)
(VRDV = Distributor Retard Delay Valve)
(DV-TW = Two Way Delay Valve)
HEAT VLV INT = Heat Vacuum Control Valve Intake, (next to carb)

The vacuum lines are color coded and laid out as though you are looking at the engine when standing infront of the truck. Each color code represents a different function (in most cases) and the same color line is used on the engine as in the diagram. However, black gets used in a few places that are not associated. The easiest way to deal with rebuilding the vacuum lines is to do one function at a time. The most complex vacuum line layout is on carbed engines of the mid to late 80's. The vacuum diagram is located on the right side of the radiator support (for the US that is the passenger side).

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 14
975.4 , ASwaff400 , BigBlue79 , DoubleDee , Gino11 , icepicker , JSoko , nine5flareside , pete59edsel , Russo2 , TBEARCOX , Thomasstemmle , tjdinmaine , tmace