Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Shop Class 101

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Liked 115 Times in 97 Posts
Thumbs up How to Change a Ford Cruise Control Switch

How to Change a Ford Cruise Control Switch

The Ford cruise control switch is secured to the steering column with a simple retaining pin or clip (depending on the year of your Ford). The cruise control module monitors the Ford vehicle's speed and allows the driver to set the speed so that the vehicle maintains that set speed without any further input from the driver. Unfortunately, some Ford cruise control modules have been known to overheat and fail. When this happens, you need to replace the cruise control switch.

Things You'll Need
Paperclip

Verify, or turn, the cruise control switch to the "off" position.

Straighten out a paperclip and insert it into the small hole on the end of the cruise control switch.

Push the paperclip in as far as it will go. You should feel resistance. This is normal. The paperclip needs to push against the release tab on the inside of the switch. Push against the release tab while you pull the cruise control switch off the steering column.

Install the new cruise control switch by sliding it onto the steering column. Use the same orientation as the old switch during installation.

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:45 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What years does this apply to?

Does it also apply to Ford cars?

Aren't the module and switch separated by the firewall?

Is this related to the recall on late 1990's early 2000's F150's cruise control issue that burned trucks to the ground?

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old July 20th, 2011, 11:55 AM

Liked 115 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT_2000 View Post
What years does this apply to?

Does it also apply to Ford cars?

Aren't the module and switch separated by the firewall?

Is this related to the recall on late 1990's early 2000's F150's cruise control issue that burned trucks to the ground?
it applys to the years that the control was on the shifter and not the steering wheel/horn

Cars yes

the switch is in the steering column

its is the de-activation switch next to the brake booster that caused the fires

I copyed this from DoubleDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDee View Post
looking at the cruise control deactiviation switch, located by the brake master cylinder. There should be an electrical switch with 2 wires on the forward portion of the brake cylinder. They had a recall on these for certain years and you might want to check it out.

The reason for the recall, was because the switch leaked, and this would over heat the switch and cause a fire. So, pull the connector apart on top of the switch and see if there is brake fluid within the connector. If so, there's your short, and your cruise control will not turn on. This problem can cause a fire, even with the truck off. I think it cost me around $24.05 for the pigtail you see in the pic above to fix, and before I knew about the recall.

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; July 20th, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:59 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My wife's car (2004 Taurus) has cruise control buttons on the steering wheel, and they used to work, but now not so much. Also, some times it will pick up speed when it should be coasting or slowing down....

I haven't even started to look into it yet.

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 13
ASwaff400 , AWBenoit , BigT67 , DoubleDee , HiRoller , JSoko , Mr Bronco , nine5flareside , polargeek , Terry G. , tuckerrt1 , TurboAl , whitesleeper