Quantcast Need help with intermittent engine sputter and loss of power - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-250 | F-350 SERIES | SUPER DUTY > 1948-1986 Ford F250 | F350

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 29th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Need help with intermittent engine sputter and loss of power

My 1986 fuel-injected 5.0 V8 with dual fuel tanks has been running roung/sputtering/and lacking any power to go above 20mph. I've tried replacing the fuel filter several times and currently have the gas tank off thinking that it might have rust or gunk that is fouling the lines. However the tank inside is super clean.
After replacing the fuel filter it has run well (2 hr trip), but then the sputtering starts again for no apparent reason the next day. This has happened twice. The sputtering action happens when you press the accelerator, the truck jerks and serges and won't go over 20. Any thoughts or suggestions? Pulling the fuel tank was my last resort for a fix and that doesn't seem to be the issue after inspecting it.
Thanks!
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:54 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Well... it may be something in the front half of the truck. Will the truck replicate the sputtering when it's in neutral and you step on the accelerator?

Maybe the fuel pump? I can't say it's the plug wires, my ol ranger had the sputtering/misfire condition only under load like when going up a hill. Normal cruising it was fine. One of the plug wires had dry rotted and had small cracks, and the spark was not getting to the plug.

I don't know. Give this thread some time, and we'll get our technical guys to help you out better than I.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had a similar issue that turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. That was a 2000 model year, but it was fuel injected....

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:57 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Hogans Heros - Very Interesting!

Because you said you inspected the fuel tanks and changed the fuel filter and it than ran OK for two hours. This means you ran it after having turned the motor off and on a couple times and put a few miles on the ODO. You said the fuel tank is clean so that rules contaminates. (old sugar in the gas tank trick - it stays at the bottom of the tank when not agitated and returns to fluidity with driving causing filter pluggage when the vehicle is driven - it could take several hours to clog a filter).

How is the dual tank selector switch? Is it leaking by or closing off or have a bad or damaged electrical wire connection(s)?
You can bypass the selector switch and test each fuel line seperately. Ensure you properly plug off and isolate the other fuel line.

If the problem doesn't goes away then it is possibly the Fuel Pressure Regulator and or it may be time to replace any flexible or rubber fuel line hoses. Rubber (hoses - tires it doesn't matter and your truck is a 1986) have a cure or life date of about five years. After that time they can harden, crack and split apart both internally (you can't easily see this but they can block flow when this happens) and externally.

Also check your fuel return line hose make sure it isn't damaged or kinked causing excessive back pressure on the FP regulator.

A clogged or damaged i.e. expended Evaporative Canister filter usually located in the vent return to the fuel tank could be the culprit too.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; July 30th, 2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Hawaiin f150: I have a 1986 F150 with a very simialr problem. Power loss when under a load, seems to run normal until I hook up the boat and trailer, then after less than a mile a total loss of power. Pressing accelerator lighlty will get it moving but barely, pressing a little more and it cuts out altogether. Acts like a loos of fuel pressure. problem is on this unit we have replaced EVERYTHING fuel related. items replaced are: rear fuel tank, both sending units with lift pumps, diverter-switch valve, main fuel pump on frame rail. one fuel line. fuel pressure regulator, injectors. Also replaced are TP, MAP, and O2 sensors. runs good until under a load. getting desperat, any ideas?!!
Old September 26th, 2013, 03:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh and switching tanks made no difference when condition presented itself.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 23
agh87b , Aloomac , BigBlue79 , BigT67 , blueford , DoubleDee , DreamzofFord , etdiego , Fount , gale9193 , glc123 , HawaiianF150 , irpelletman , Jonnyuma , JSoko , pete59edsel , ps4bob , skatebowd , Stephen B. , TedC , THE ZEF , timok , TwoStroke