Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Shop Class 101

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old May 11th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Exclamation How To: Replace Fuel Filter (04-08 F150)

So, the maintenace manual for the truck says the fuel filter gets replaced at 30K mile intervals. So, for my first filter chance, I went with Motorcraft brand. I think I'll go Wix or see if I can get the Motocraft brand from O'Reillys.

The process is pretty simple. The only specialty tool you'll need is a fuel line disconnect tool.

Step 1 Disconnect electrical connector:

Step 2 Relieve fuel system pressure:
Start the truck, and let it stall out. Start the truck a couple more times to ensure you've relieved as much pressure out of the system. Book says to let the starter run for about 5 seconds.
*Note, with my truck, it has an electronic, computer controlled system to say when the starter shuts off. Releasing the key from Start to Run will not shut the starter off. The computer "tells" the starter to shut off when the engine starts. You have to manually turn the key to OFF.

Step 3 Disconnect Fuel Lines
This is when you'll know that you've relieved pressure or not. I suggest using some sort of catch container that you can put up towards the coupling as you're disconnecting them. This will catch whatever drains out of the line by gravity, and if the pressure wasn't relieved, will keep the fuel from spraying everywhere.

Step 4 Remove/Replace Fuel Filter

There's not much to add. Just reverse procedure to install. Just make sure the couplings are completely attached to the filter. You should hear a click when you push the couplings on. Once you're done, and everything is back to what it looked like before you started, you can start the truck and check for leaks. Remember, the truck might not start right away. Prime/pressurize the fuel line by turning to the key to Run, letting the fuel pump run it's cycle, then turn the key to Off. Do this a couple times. Then start the truck. It should start almost right away.

Here's what I poured out of my fuel filter:

And this is only after 29,700 miles!

Filters are preventive maintenance. Some say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Well... a $25 filter (I bought it from the parts counter at the stealership, I don't want to talk about it) beats replacing the fuel pump, clogged injectors, bad gas mileage, and whatever else that can result from a clogged filter.

Depending on if you bought your truck new or used, this could be the most expensive investment (2nd if you bought a house) of your life. Take care of it and it'll last a long time.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:54 PM

Liked 115 Times in 97 Posts

good photos

one day I'll figuer out how to do them arrows and circles

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3
DoubleDee , JSoko , Russo2