Quantcast How to: Magnetize a Screwdriver using a Car Battery - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Shop Class 101

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:28 PM

Liked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Default How to: Magnetize a Screwdriver using a Car Battery

What you'll need:

2ft of 18ga Wire, Wire Strippers, Screwdriver or whatever you're going to Magnetize.

Strip 1 inch of shielding off each end of the wire using the wire strippers. Pop the hood of the vehicle and locate the battery. If you have a loose car battery available, place it on a surface where you can work on it.

Wrap the wire tightly around the metal shaft of the screwdriver, leaving approximately 1 foot of wire at each end.

Hold one end of the wire to the positive terminal. Hold the other end with a pair of Insulated Needle Nose pliers, making sure to hold on to the insulated part of the Wire also. Quickly tap the wire against the negative terminal for a fraction of a second. Repeat at least 5 times.

Remove the wire from the screwdriver and test to make sure that it is magnetic.

This is how my mom's dad magnetized Screwdrivers and Sockets all the time.

I think I'll do one tomorrow and add pics to this.

Last edited by BigBlue79; May 26th, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:11 PM

Liked 115 Times in 97 Posts

for a quick magnefication
if you have a magnet
rub the screwdriver tip in one direction only across the magnet
an old speaker magnet works

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:13 PM

Liked 115 Times in 97 Posts

way back when there were no color TV's
there was a show called Mr. Wizard, we kids learned all kinds of neat stuff on a saturday morning

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old May 26th, 2012, 12:11 AM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Ken - you're scaring meh!

"Hold one end of the wire to the positive terminal. Hold the other end your hand, making sure to hold on to the insulated part. Quickly tap the wire against the negative terminal for a fraction of a second. Repeat at least 5 times."

I'm thinking of all the young'ins who pop in here and never say much, don't really have anyone to actively mentor them so they read tips and tricks and check out the old skool ways.

Then they go strutting out to the garage all puff chested and brain smart .. just itching to show off their newly acquired skill-set to buddies of lesser skill-sets....

Break for Channel 4 news! ... "Teenager Dies From Exploding Heart and Truck Battery" - More News at 10!

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; May 26th, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Liked 49 Times in 42 Posts

Yeah I was thinking back on this after I woke up this morning(my first day off from not doing any truck work or metal hauling) and thought it'd be better off grabbing the wire with a pair of Needle Nose pliers that are insulated. So I'll change that up there.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 14
1998F150XLT , 90f150xltcenturion , ALEXB , BigBlue79 , Booba5185 , Cody R. Coxe , HawaiianF150 , JSoko , Klitch , pete59edsel , Russo2 , Scotts Black FX4 , shawnf250 , topncc