Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1992-1996 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old September 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Question 1995 F150 -Vacuum System Delete

Hey all,

I have finished putting the top end of my truck back together "again" and I want to clean up/delete the vacuum lines. I would like to also remove that bracket that holds the TAD/TAB solenoids and coil as well as the solenoids while I'm at it.

My EGR , cat, and smog pump have all been removed. I am also relocating my coil with a custom bracket that bolts onto the water pump.

I would like to remove any unnecessary vacuum lines. Based on the info above, please let me know what would be safe to remove. Hopefully I can bang this out today.

Thanks,

~95
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	3841
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	716   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	2156
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	717   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	2286
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	718  

Old September 9th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts

Put the EGR back on, and you can leave the TAD\TAB off if you want. You can remove the canister on the passenger side wheel well, along with the TAB\TAB solenoids. The EGR gives you better gas mileage, as well as prolongs the life of your valves, thats why I say put it back on. The TAD\TAB will throw codes, but not a check engine light, whereas the EGR will as well. If someone told you that removing the EGR will give you more power, they are liars.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

Old September 9th, 2012, 10:47 AM

The EGR has been disabled for some time now. I just finally was able to unbolt it, remove the air tube and plugged the hole in the manifold. I also installed a nice billet block off plate on the plenum.

Smog pump and cat were removed a few years back.

So today I am going to just remove that entire bracket that holds the coil and then relocate the coil.

I am not looking for any performance gains by doing this, I just want a cleaner look under the hood.

I bought these a while back:

http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/products/egr-eliminator
http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/coll...-egr-block-off

Old September 9th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Also, what about the vacuum solenoid mounted to that small bracket... what is that for and can I remove it?

Old September 9th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Here's my input on the EGR:
Quote:
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) - Explained
Posted 02-15-2012 at 03:53 PM by Seattle FSB

To increase performance, modern engine design incorporates a leaner Air/Fuel Ratio with advanced ignition timing. These performance increases promote increased combustion temperatures which support an edothermic reaction between Nitrogen and Oxygen, producing mono-Nitrogen Oxides (NOx). High levels of NOx can corrosively damage internal engine components and also react in the environment to cause smog, acid rain, ozone depletion and respiratory health effects.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) is designed to reduce combustion chamber temperatures which promote NOx formation. It does this by reintroducing inert exhaust gas back into the intake. As we know, the EGR does not operate all of the time. The EGR is typically not employed at idle (low-speed, zero load) because it would cause unstable combustion, resulting in rough idle. EGR is also omitted at high loads and WOT because it would reduce peak power output by reducing the intake charge density. When properly operating under light cruise conditions, the EGR valve reduces NOx emissions, reduces the chance of detonation and cools the exhaust valves which give them a much longer service life (all very important benefits). The EGR is now exploited by manufacturers to support performance changes in modern engine design.

A properly operating EGR can increase the efficiency of gasoline engines through several mechanisms:

Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.
Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduce NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke. Additionally, lower cylinder temperatures reduce engine octane requirements which lessens the danger of detonation.
Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is minor compared to the first two.

The EGR can decrease the efficiency of gasoline engines by at least one more mechanism:
Reduced specific heat ratio. A lean intake charge has a higher specific heat ratio than an EGR mixture. A reduction of specific heat ratio reduces the amount of energy that can be extracted by the piston.

Keep in mind that the EGR is just one of several Emissions Systems in your Bronco:
Secondary Air Injection. This is used to support the catalytic converter's oxidation reaction, and to reduce emissions when an engine is started from cold.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation. This system routes a metered amount of exhaust into the intake tract under particular operating conditions which dilutes the air/fuel charge to reduce peak combustion chamber temperatures.
Catalytic Converter. This converts hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and NOx into less harmful gases by using a combination of platinum, palladium and rhodium as catalysts.
Evaporative Emissions Control. This system collects vapors from the fuel tank in a canister containing activated carbon. During certain engine operational modes, the vapors are introduced into the engine to be burned.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

Old September 9th, 2012, 10:54 AM

That's the EGR solenoid. If you are leaving off the EGR, then it can be removed as well.

Old September 10th, 2012, 09:14 AM

OK, I will remove it all. I'll tell you what, I am getting better MPG right now, that's for sure. Truck is also running cooler right now.

Old September 10th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Keep going nine5, I'll see how you like being smog/emission stripped, because I've got a 66 bronco waiting for a 91 bronco motor. I don't like the look of any of that smog crap

built and blueprinted Lightning powerplant with p&p heads, race built 4r70w by Darrin @ BC-Automotive
1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475
Transmission saga. avoid www.Engineworldusa.com, junk import motors.

Old September 11th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Liked 116 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klitch View Post
Keep going nine5, I'll see how you like being smog/emission stripped
X2

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old September 11th, 2012, 07:32 AM

Liked 116 Times in 98 Posts

what kinda valve covers ya got there ?

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 24
90f150xltcenturion , BigBlue79 , Booba5185 , Burton7.3 , cmarsengill , Daniel 96 F150 , DoubleDee , dwoopp1 , gizmo06360 , Guardian , hillja , ihatechevy , jimmyz , JSoko , Kaotik , Klitch , michaelsnodgrass18 , NE146T9 , nine5flareside , Red91 , Russo2 , Sc4x4truck , Shade , TwoSpeed