Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1973-1991 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 31st, 2013, 10:47 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Angry 86 f150 stalling and backfire.

Hello i'm new to the forum as of today, and I have posted in other ford truck forums with no luck. I hope someone has an idea for me because im at a loss.
1986 ford f150 4.9 300 I6 feedback carb.
So The truck started backfiring when I let off the gas pedal going down hill. So I checked the timing, and it was correct. Then I replaced the plugs, and no luck. Then I rebuilt the carb (Carter YFA 1 bbl) and replaced the carb to spacer, and spacer to manifold gaskets, still doing it, and now there is a new problem.....
Now I have the idle screw all the way in and the truck idles so low it wants to stall. When I use the brakes it wants to stall. When the choke is not all the way open it runs much nicer. I followed the carb rebuild directions very closely and I adjusted the fuel mixture as specified. I replaced the fuel filter and no fix. I unplugged the T.P.S. and the idle went up just a little it is around 5oo r.p.m. but remember the idle screw is all the way in, and it is still not even touching the carb base because I had to bring the anti stall stop screw in more to keep it running. I have checked high and low for a vacuum leak, and there is not one that I can see or find. The EGR spacer, seemed pretty clean to me. The EGR tube had a bit of an oily substance around it when I took it out, but not sure what it is. The intake, and spacer are very clean though. The truck has 63,000 miles on it. Owned by an old man who sadly passed, and his wife sold me the truck. Here is a list of parts I have replaced that could be related.
1. Fuel Filter
2. Plugs, Wires, Etc.
3. Carb rebuild
4. Gaskets for the carb
5. Fuel pump 3 weeks ago
6. Alternator

I truly hope someone can help me. I love this truck. I have never owned any other kind of truck in my life. I have had 6 of the bullnose f150's and they are getting hard to find where I live. I was thinking the tps is bad, but I don't know how to tell. Thank you all for your help in advance.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 7
benyonder , BigBlue79 , boby123 , glc , ilovefords31 , JSoko , purple lady